Sunday, December 11, 2011

Easy Egg Bake & Weekend Recap

Wow this weekend, and last WEEK, flew by! I can't believe I haven't blogged since Tuesday - oops! I have some ideas of posts to write and kept meaning to do it all week so I hope to get them out this week. Anyway, work has been too busy lately for me to blog over lunch and our weeknight schedules have been to busy for me to do it then, but thankfully I have a little downtime now. Aaaahhhh, Sunday evenings are my favorite. I'm sitting here in my cozy Christmas PJ's with just the glow of the tree, watching my lab play with the ornaments with her nose, sipping hot cocoa, and blogging a bit before Dexter comes on. Love.

I may have encouraged her just a bit. And the shooting noise you may hear in the background is Tyge playing Call of Duty in the basement - don't worry! :)


Anyway, I had a good weekend! Friday night was shockingly a quiet night in - no plans! I managed to get all 80+ Christmas cards stuffed, addressed, sealed, and ready to mail - so glad to have that done! Check one thing off the goal list (cause I'm not doing super at the rest haha). I also cleaned the house a bit for my ladies brunch the next day before heading to bed a bit early, as Tyge is starting to get sick. :-/ 

On Saturday I had Betsy, Maggie, Michelle, and Lori over for a ladies Christmas brunch. I love this group of ladies and I love how we all came to be friends! Betsy is my best friend (Hardcore BFF to be exact) of 26 years and the other ladies were her college roommates and friends. She introduced me to them and they just "accepted" me into their little circle and I couldn't be more grateful! I just love the time I get to spend with them - it is always so uplifting and FUN, and at the same time they challenge me to be a better wife and person.
I love these women! Pic from summer 2010 - we forgot to take a pic this weekend!


We all contributed to the brunch and the spread was amaaazing - egg bake (I made my go-to easy and healthy version below), bacon, fruit, homemade blueberry scones, homemade granola bars, juice and coffee. We enjoyed eating together around the table and just laughing and having great conversation. We also did a small gift exchange and I got a yummy new pine candle and festive red sparkly nail polish.

The spread!

Easy Veggie Egg bake
Serves 10

Ingredients:
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 potato
  • 1 head broccoli, chopped
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 4 green onions, chopped (dark parts only)
  • 1/3 cup skim milk
  • goat cheese
  • salt
  • pepper
  • oregano
Directions:
  1. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
  2. Wash and slice potato using a mandolin slicer. Layer slices in a 9x13 inch glass pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 15 minutes until edges start to brown. Decrease oven heat to 375 degrees.
  3. While potatoes are baking, chop veggies and set aside. When potatoes come out of oven, layer raw veggies on top of potato layer and salt and pepper to taste.
  4. In a medium mixing bowl mix eggs and milk with salt, pepper and oregano to taste. Pour egg mixture over veggies and shake pan a bit to spread the mixture around.
  5. If desired, sprinkle goat cheese (I did) or other shredded cheese to taste.
  6. Bake uncovered at 375 for 35 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle and a toothpick comes out clean.

Easy, healthy, and delicious!

After the ladies left early afternoon, I fed Tyge some leftovers (he vacated while the ladies were over), cleaned up a bit, then got busy wrapping presents! Keely tried to help, which was distracting, albeit cute.

I recommend this pink paper here, Mom. It smells nice.

I got everything done and under the tree and made myself a quick dinner (chicken taco leftovers from Tyge's birthday dinner evening with friends!) as Tyge had left for an evening with some guy friends. At the last minute, my mom got her and me tickets for the evening to the VocalEssence Welcome Christmas concert in Stillwater. She came over and we drove to the church where they were performing - downtown Stillwater is so cute this time of year! The show was amazing - I forgot just how much I enjoy good choral music. It was mostly Christmas carols sung in French, and the choir and orchestra were so good. We had front row seats which was something I'd never done - such a treat to be that close! The highlight of the show was a female and boy soprano duet as Mary and Jesus - very moving and the boy's voice was seriously like an angel. After the concert, my mom and I had a quick bite and glass of wine at Luna Rossa in Stillwater and got to catch up a bit, which was nice.

Today Tyge and I went to church then had a meeting for our "mystery March trip" (that I promise to blog about this week). It went a little later than expected so I dropped him off at home before making my Sunday Costco run - poor guy is starting to get sick and when he gets it, he gets it bad. We relaxed for a few hours this afternoon/evening and are about to watch Dexter and Homeland before bed. I have a busy week coming up with work and fun Christmas social activities, so I better rest up! Hope everyone else had a nice weekend, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment