Friday, October 7, 2011

Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad!

You know the crud I was saying Tyge had? I have it now. I stayed home from work yesterday because I felt horrible, and am still feeling bad today but am back at work. Good thing we have a fairly low key weekend so I can rest up!

So weeks ago we had planned to have my parents over last night for an anniversary dinner, as well as to tell them we were pregnant. It was a bittersweet night to say the least. Even though I felt like crap and was a bit sad because Tyge and I didn't get to use our cute idea of telling them, it was great to have them over and celebrate their 33 years of marriage. We enjoyed hearing about their recent travels as well as sharing our Colorado trip with them, and I am so glad they came over.

Happy Anniversary to the best parents a girl could ask for! I am so blessed to have your loving example of marriage in my life and am so grateful for all you do for Tyge and me. I know someday you'll make amazing grandparents when we do have kids!

For dinner, I made white fish with marinade, orange zested broccolini and cilantro lime rice - all recipes below! And sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, I'll have to start using a nice camera from now on...


Sweetly Succulent Mahi Mahi 
(adapted from SparkPeople.com) Serves 4
This deliciously healthy, broiled fish dish combines both sweet and sour taste sensations with a wonderful spice kick from the ginger. The 30 minute prep time includes 20 minutes to marinate. This recipe is a snap and so delicious, you will appreciate the fresh ginger when you taste it!

Ingredients:
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar (I used half brown sugar and half agave nectar)
• 4 tablespoons water
• 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 24oz raw Mahi Mahi fillets, cut in 4 (since Costco was out of my favorite Mahi fillets I used Alaskan Cod, which is also a firm white fish so worked well)

• salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a shallow glass dish, stir together the sugar, water, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic and olive oil.
2. Season fish fillets lightly with salt and pepper, and place them into the dish.
3. Cover, and refrigerate for 20 minutes to marinate.
4. Preheat broiler.
5. Remove fish from the dish, and reserve marinade.
6. Place fish on a baking tray and broil 4 to 6 minutes on each side, turning only once, until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fillets to a serving platter and keep warm.
7. Pour reserved marinade into the skillet, and reduce over high heat until the mixture reduces to a glaze.

**Note - Since there wasn't a lot leftover, I made a little more of the marinade to reduce as a glaze - it's really yummy and you'll want enough to cover all 4 fillets!
8. Spoon glaze over fish, and serve immediately.

Sautéed Citrus Broccolini
Serves 4
Ingredients:
• 1 bunch broccolini
• Kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons EVOO
• 1 orange, zested
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• Salt & pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Blanch the broccolini in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
2. Heat the EVOO in a large sauté pan. Add the orange zest and garlic and stir. Drain the broccolini and add it to the garlic mixture and heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper, and toss well before serving.

Cilantro Lime Rice
Serves 4
Ingredients:
• 3 cups of hot cooked brown rice (again, I used Trader Joe's frozen – a time saver!)
• 2 small limes (or 1 large lime)
• 1 lime, zest of (all of one lime)
• 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon Earth Balance natural butter spread
• Salt & pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Once your rice is cooked fluff with fork
2. Add lime juice, zest, cilantro, butter spread, and salt/pepper
3. Stir well and serve warm

No comments:

Post a Comment