Thursday, October 27, 2011

ME time

I got to go for a run tonight! I was home earlier than normal from work so strapped on my shoes, and Tyge, Keely and I headed out for a quick 2.5 mile spin around part of the lake. I'll be honest, I haven't run consistently since July (training for the 4th of July 10K) and haven't ran at ALL since the day I started miscarrying over a month ago. Anyway, I was afraid that I'd have to walk for part of the distance but I'm happy to report that I ran the whole 2.5 miles! (Okay fine, I walked for a tiny stretch up a big hill...) Bottom line is, my endurance isn't totally gone - hooray! I remember training so hard for the half marathon last September then taking a month off and being so disappointed when I was barely able to jump right back in with an easy 3 miler. However, I was just fine today! Thankfully, as I signed up for a Thanksgiving Day 5K - I was relieved that I won't be in over my head after taking such a long break. :)

Running does something like singing for me - it energizes me, makes me feel alive, is my ME time. Part of the reason I haven't run in so long is we've been so crazy busy with, well, life, that I haven't made time for ME. Running for me is like eating right and being in the Word - all things that take discipline but are SO worth the time and effort, are life giving and keep me balanced, keep me the best version of ME. Running is not only a way to keep the "fluff" at bay, but it's my stress relief, my anger management, my quiet time, my time with the Lord in prayer, my ME time.

I get discouraged that I'm not able to make time for a run as often as I'd like, because I don't get home from work until after 6, then wouldn't be home from a run until 7, then would make dinner and wouldn't eat until 8, and that just gets to be late...Plus now it's getting darker earlier so it's not even an option to run after work on a normal day! So on nights like tonight, I am so grateful I was able to fit a run in - the cool air and sunset over the lake were perfect running conditions and I loved every minute of it.

My goal is to make running more a part of my weekly fitness regime, once again. I'm doing the bootcamp 2-3 times per week, and would like to make time to run 1-2 times a week as well. So there you have it, goals set!

Speaking of bootcamp, I have to get up at 5:15 AM for it so goodnight!

Yup.

I need to remember this when I'm making excuses to not exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment